Subject: [Leica] Rotring pencil
From: AlastairF@bhs.grampianshealth.org.au
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:43:32 +1000

Hi Erwin,

Welcome back. I too have rotring equipment -- a beautiful fine ink pen made
for detailed drawing (sadly leaks all over my fingers) which I've owned for
20 years. Fine piece of equipment, and like a Leica, not without its
problems ;-)

The LUG has a problem. There is only a certain amount of chat one can have
on a specific topic, and there is always a turn over of the list. This means
that the same questions will always be bubbling back up to the surface, and
therefore the same range of feelings and opinions will again be aired. This
is not bad, but rather the nature of the beast. We could insist that any new
member read the entire archive, but then there is a danger that there would
be nothing to talk about at all --- except for developments in other
cameras, as it is no doubt true, that like the Rotring, the design team at
Leica do not make changes quickly or without reason. This is why the M6 is
so loved here on this list, and all over the world.

I too would love to have an ongoing discussion on the use of Leica glass in
a digital world, because as of next week, I'm finally moving into my new
darkroom/studio, and joining the dinosaurs. I intend to produce fine b/w and
colour images, and of course have become somewhat despondent with all the
digital talk. I keep reminding myself, that I could never afford the kind of
equipment needed to do really high quality digital printing, but already own
that required to do the same in the chemical world, I kept talking about
longevity, till 140 year ink came out, so now I talk of craft, and art, and
what the hell, I enjoy working in the darkroom more than in front of a
screen with Photoshop taking all the "luck" out of it.

I will be boring you all with my adventures, and hope to have a lot of fun.
The LUG is "faulty", but then so are we all, and this is perhaps why it is
such an enduring group of like minded souls. (Oh and I'm sure there are more
than 20 speakers, and I'm sure that if we added up the years experience
behind some of the voices, the number of Leica years would be quite
significant)

Alastair