Subject: Re: [Leica] Another (new) 15mm for Leica M (39mm) , the Panomigon 15mm f22
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:07:38 -0700

>personally i'll take a center filter but in concept the goerz hypergon
>around ww1 takes the cake for ingenuity and fun.  they had a mini flyswatter
>you wound and it vibrated in the center of the as you shot.  improbably as
>it sounds they say  the 75mm focal length of a rollei  covered
>8x10. have seen the lens w/o swatter.  the official zeiss historical
>collection seized after the war was intrusted by our government to burke and
>james for safe keeping. was this putting the fox in charge of the
>henhouse?ralph
>
>> From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@jcberger.com>
>> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 08:42:53 +0200
>> To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
>> Subject: RE: [Leica] Another (new) 15mm for Leica M (39mm) , the Panomigon
>> 15mm f22
>>
>> From what I understand, the Panomigon is a "concept lens" (à la concept-car)
>> to demonstrate the ACV usability. ACV is more or less painting little black
>> dots on the edge of internal lenses in order to compensate vignetting.
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)
>> Systems and RDBMS consultant (MCSE)
>> Lyon, France
>> http://www.jcberger.com
>>

>>> An effective aperture (with ACV, whatever that is!) of f/22, and at best
>>> geometric aperture of f/11 doesn't bode well for either practicality nor
>>> optical performance.

I used one of those once, but while it looked like you could fly with it,
for practical picture taking it didn't quite cut it. Not too sharp, a black
hole in the middle and flare forever! Still, one of the most intriguing
lenses I've ever played around with.

If you want a  super SUPER wide rectilinear image nowadays, one of the
easiest ways is to get a fisheye and correct the image in the computer
with, for example, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com