Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leicas as tools
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:25:55 -0700

Tim Spragens wrote:

(snip)
> how do you make this work, Tina?
> One for each film type, one for each lens? you have a Batman
> utility belt with a holster for each?
> I don't like to carry more than two cameras at once, and when travelling
> (and you do more than I) I usually take one.<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Tim,
I'm not answering for Tina, but from my own experience with multiple
cameras and why.

I hate changing lenses, always have and even at the very beginning many
years ago I always had two.  Because in those days we were required to
shoot colour and B&W on most magazine assignments and working with some
art director's in agencies.

So as time & career progressed so did the numbers and types of
cameras/lenses to the extent that at one time I worked with three Leicas
and three Leicaflexes many many times and all hanging off neck and
shoulders at the same time. By the way the SLR's always had motors, as
do the R8's  today. And for those who complain about R8 motor weight,
they should be lugging around three motors and Leicaflex SL's !   Now
you're talking weight.

That aside, I hated to miss anything or get caught changing film when
some crucial point occurred.  Quite frankly with 6 at the same time, you
inevitably run out of film in all six at the same time or out of film in
the wrong models and then had to quickly change lenses. Pain in the ass! ;-)

To avoid this situation one makes an absolute habit of constantly
checking film frames, which in the R8 is always a reminder in the
viewfinder, a bonus of the R8!

The assignment dictated when you'd be 3, 6 or less, sometimes I worked
with just one camera and one lens for the complete assignment,
frustrating on occasion.  And again the type of assignment dictates this.

(and you do more than I) I usually take one.<<<<<<<<<<

The answer to why?   What if you don't take everything and you're on the
other side of the world and you need the one you left at home?  If
you're being paid to deliver and don't come back with the photography
expected of you on the excuse of, "Gee sorry, I didn't take my 400 mm
2.8 and the extra camera as back-up just in case one crashed."  Sure as
hell doesn't wash with any picture editor I ever worked for and
certainly never washed big time with me as picture editor at the
National Film Board nor as photo editor of Sport's Canada magazine.

You quickly find out how mean assed a photo editor can be as he's
telling you never darken his door again!

Besides,  the gear you leave at home is always the gear you immediately
need when you arrive on location, it's Murphy's Law! :-)  I'm sure Tina
and others who work for a living have similar experiences as to why we
carry everything that we do, it's just survival as a working
photographer. ted