Subject: [Leica] Re: R8 size
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 21:36:08 -0400

on 16/7/00 4:50 pm, Austin Franklin at
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

> And...size wise, how does the R8 compare to the M6?  The R8 has to be
> thicker, just because it has a mirror to swing out of the way...  Does it
> feel much bulkier than the M6?  One of my reasons for really liking the M6
> is the small size, I really am a minimalist when it comes to gear (aside
> from the UV filter that is ;-), and the smaller the better...

Despite being a relative R8 newbie I can answer this. The R8 is
significantly bigger than the M6 (I have both). It does not IMO feel as big
as it looks because your thumb naturally fits into a depression on the back
cover. The first time I hefted the camera I thought I'd made a great mistake
but I have grown used to its feel and now do like its size. If you are a
minimalist you should consider the R4-R6.2 cameras as they really are
compacts. The R7 is deeper in the body and not as svelte.

- --
Regards
David

dprakel@rochester.rr.com