Subject: Re: [Leica] Quit picking on the R3
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2000 19:52:56 -0700

On Sun, 16 July 2000, Vick Ko wrote:

> Sorry - let me tell you the background.  I picked up an "As-is" R3 for a good
> price,
> and so far, my local camera shops have told me that it isn't worth fixing, and the
>
> general opinion from this thread is that the R3 isn't worth fixing.
>
> Coming from a history of owning M cameras, and recent, some LTM cameras,
> I was really surprised that any Leica would be deemed "not worth fixing."
>
> It seems like there are a few good R3's, like the one you own, but a significant
> number of not-so-good ones.
>
> I guess I should have done my homework before picking up this "bargain".
> For a bit longer, my SLR shooting will be my Nikon.
>

> ...Vick

Leica USA told a friend of mine the same thing about his R4sP, which had a broken main casting.  Leica had based their statement on the cost of a new main casting, then $300.  At the time they also had a single an old stock main casting priced at $100, but since my friend was corresponding via snail-mail (from the bush in Alaska) Leica couldn't guarantee the $100 unit would still be available by the time Gary gave his OK for the work.  Thus, as far as Leica USA was concerned, it was "not economically repairable".

When I called the parts department on the phone I could purchase the part on the spot, and the total cost of repair was less than the cost of a replacement by a few hundred dollars.

Try sending the R3 to Sherry or DAG before giving up on it.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!