Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Digital Printing
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:45:28 -0400

on 18/7/00 8:23 pm, Frank Filippone at red735i@earthlink.net wrote:

> I am on several lists as an interested party, not as a participant, watching
> the development of digital printing.
>
> It amazes me how many problems there are, the detail level ( orange colors
> on this paper, black problems on that paper) that I for one, can not see
> entering this arena until the problems work themselves out.  At least not
> for any serious work.  I still prefer chemical processing.
>
> Now for 4x6 prints of Aunt Jezebel, I think the medium is OK, as long as you
> don;t allow the prints to come in contact with air or light....

There's a hell of a lot of smoke-blowing going on, Frank. But you owe it to
yourself to look at the prints. I've had no color shifts or anything like
it... the detail is stunning from my Sprintscan 4000 on the 1270... and I
leave 'em lying around like regular prints. What people forget to mention is
that the medium is far easier to work with than a wet darkroom... you can
spend longer on the prints more productively, it's reversible... my prints
are way better... my workrate is enormously higher. Mark Rabiner is right
when he says that this process will almost entirely supplant wet printing in
a couple of years... for me it already has... and I am a quality nut.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com