Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome Labs
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:57:32 -0700

Kodak settled the government's antitrust case against it in 1954 by agreeing
to unbundle processing from the sale of the film. That only applied to the
US market, which is why Kodachrome purchased overseas still has the
processing included. Theoretically, anyone could then process Kodachrome,
but it was such an expensive process (full-time analytical chemist, etc.)
that I don't recall anyone else attempting the K-12 or K-14 process until
the mid-1980's, when A&I, BWC, the New Lab in San Francisco, and maybe a few
others started offering it (the New Lab has since dropped out of that line).

Most of the Kodachrome I have processed these days goes through a K-Lab
processor, which Kodak introduced a few years ago. It automates a lot of the
quality control features of the K-14 process, among other things, and was
intended to make Kodachrome processing more affordable for private labs. I
haven't noticed any difference in the quality of processing by the K-Lab
machines. You can tinker with the processing times with the K-Lab--film can
be pushed or pulled, though this seems to work best with K200.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.