Subject: Re: [Leica] Diffraction limited; bo-ke
From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:37:57 -0400

Mr Puts:

Maybe I am misreading something you wrote on your web site, but if diffraction
is not limiting the performance, why pray tell should you shoot at larger
apertures?  What is the limiting  factor that agitates for this?  I am using a
35/2 4th generation Summicron and I believe you indicated that the top
performance for lenses of this type was at f/5.6.  Do the aberrations begin to
increase at some point past that?

The easiest shorthand that I have heard on bokeh is that good bokeh means a
smooth transition from sharp to unsharp suggesting greater depth of field than
really exists.  Bad bokeh has a sharp and sudden transition that doesn't
reproduce the way we see (real) scenes.  We don't see wiry tree branches in
real life, but we do in a lot of photos taken with more modern lenses.

Dante Stella

Dante Stella
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dante

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Diffraction limited; bo-ke)