Subject: Re: [Leica] home b&w processing
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:02:31 -0400

At 09:38 AM 7/24/00 -0400, Sir Deadman wrote:
>Film onto stainless steel reels and into tank using changing bag.
>
>Develop in daylight in laundry or kitchen sink. Takes half an hour. Use Xtol
>which is non-toxic, lasts months, and makes beautiful negs.
>
>Hang to dry on $5 sock dryer.
>
>Into filmscanner!!
>
>End of story.

For those of us who are trying to save our coppers for quality lenses
first, is there a less expensive film scanner on the market that still
delivers quality scans?

I'm using a really inexpensive odd brand flatbed scanner now and am not all
that happy with the printing results (though it's not that bad for web
publishing use.) A shooting buddy got a transparency adapter for his HP
flatbed and the results leave much to be desired.

Optimally something that scans negs and slides well for under $500 would
fit the bill. Printer wise I'm currently also stuck with a Lexmark z11 that
was given me and an HP Deskjet 722c that we bought for my first PC when I
moved over from MAC.

Is it hopeless? Should I just have Portland Color
(http://www.portphoto.com/) make quality scans on CD for me until I can
afford a real scanner?

Any suggestions graciously welcome.
Carpe Luminem,