Subject: Re: [Leica] study of incompetence
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 24 Jul 2000 08:27:14 -0700

On Mon, 24 July 2000, John Collier wrote:

> This has me greatly concerned Brian. Unlike those happy gentlefolk that are
> a twelve but think themselves a sixty-two, I think I am a twelve and shudder
> to think what I really must actually be. If factors of delusion are standard
> then I must be a two point three!! I mazeda am words st ring taht can I
> twogether!!!
>
> John Collier

John,

The same study also concluded that people who are competent in a particular field tend to under-value their own abilities, until exposed to truly incompetent work, when they begin to recognize their own competence.  The difference between competent and incompetent people is that the clueless over-value their abilities even after exposure to competent work, and those who know what they are doing revise their self-assesment when exposed to incompetence.  So, if you rate yourself at 12, either you are extremely incompetent and really are a 2.3, or you've never been exposed to true incompetence.  Considering your exposure to the LUG ... hmmm ...

:-)

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe