Subject: Re: Initial Slide Sorts WAS: [Leica] home b&w processing
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:47:38 +0200

On Mon, 24 July 2000, John Coan wrote:

> I have lately been shooting Kodachrome, and it comes back mounted.  I
> found myself of late taking the fresly returned (after two of three
> weeks argh!!!) slides and putting them on a light panel with a loupe one
> by one.  The good ones go in one pile, and the bad ones go in the trash.
>
> I wonder if anyone else throws away the bad slides the first pass?
> Sometimes I think it's rash, but once I see what I did to screw up I
> don't want them hanging around any more!  This is also very functional
> to reduce storage requirements by 75 percent, or more!

Yes, absolutely!  Unwanted motion, wrong DOF, dumb ideas, stupid
expressions all go in to the trash (unless I've got blackmail in mind, then
the stupid expressions stay <g>).  I usually reduce my storage requirements
by 80 to 90 percent.

Doug Herr
<<<<<
For me, 5 keepers per roll is a _good_ average! 2 or 3 is more realistic.
It's depressing when you have to chuck out the whole roll after a cursory
glance!
As for _really_ good pictures - 1 every ten rolls if it's going well.
Rob.
Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36
41100 MO