Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica or B+W Filters
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:38:24 -0700

Donal Philby wrote:

> Dante A Stella wrote:
>
> >There's nothing wrong with Hoya glass.
>
> Dante,
> I beg to differ.  When in a hurry, after damaging a Tiffen FLD last
> year,  I bought a replacement Hoya (it was all I could find in San
> Diego--they are cheap so stores stock 'em) and jetted off to shoot job
> in Atlanta without testing.  The frames shot with the Hoya (as compared
> to the Tiffens on other lenses) where so far off color that I had to
> return to Atlanta to reshoot part of the job.
>
> Hoyas will never touch my cameras again!  I tried to reach Hoya and rep,
><Snip>

FLD's are anybody guess. Sing-Ray has their own secret receipt with secret
sauces and everyone has their own guess as to make makes a discontinuous
spectrum average bulb translate to 5500. Most pros I know don't use them at all.
The create filter packs with magenta gels as a result of a pre testing on a
certain location.
My guess is in a different situation the Hoya receipt might have done you better
than the Tiffen.
And you are talking cheap Hoya, expensive Hoya might have an exotic concoction
of waveleghts unknown to modern man.
And a metal instead of plastic rim.
Tiffen filters are two sheets of optical glass with a gel in between.
That's six optical surfaces.
Suffice to say 4 too many.
The concept does not appeal to me. (Although NASA apparently thought they were
OK for what that's worth)
Give me one flat sheet of colored glass any day and I'll take my chances!
Mark Rabiner