Subject: Re: [Leica] The quintessence of Leica photography?
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:28:59 -0400

I am not disputing any of the theory that Erwin has stated here.

What I do know is that

a) in the case of my own printing, my Epson inkjet prints appear to exhibit
a greater tonality and greater feeling of DMAX (I'm not sure if it is real
or not).  They simply appear richer.  I may not be the world's finest
printer, but I do know how to print (in the darkroom) to achieve a good
range of tones in my prints.  However if you don't want to take my word for
it....

b) At a photo gallery recently I saw some large (perhaps 4 ft. by 15
inches, panoramic) prints made on some kind of fine art paper (with the
deckle on all four sides) made with some unidentified digital process.
These prints were outstanding; exquisite sharpness and outstanding
tonality.  Easily on a par with the finest black and white prints I have
seen, anywhere.  If this is not enough...

c) friends of mine who own Epson printers, some of whom are critical about
them because they are "grain sniffers" and don't like seeing dots when
examining prints with 10x loupes, all admit to the beautiful tonality
possible with them.  And finally...

d) Comments from others on the LUG appear to corroborate my observations.

I think that the scientifically minded among the LUG readership would find
it interesting, rather than "proving" that traditional prints appear better
than inkjet prints, to investigate why it is that in practice, inkjet
actually look better than silver.  (Ignoring fading problems with some
paper and printer combinations).

I will ask some of the various photo labs near me to see if they will make
some reflection densitometer readings from some of my own prints.  Perhaps
they are actually denser than the tests that Erwin made.

Dan C.