Subject: Re: [Leica] To ROM or not to ROM
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2000 07:36:27 -0700

On Wed, 26 July 2000, "Miro Jurcevic" wrote:

> Further to my thread about the R7 and R8, I have purchased several two-cam
> lenses in mint condition and have the option of making them either '3 cam'
> or 'ROM'
>
> I have been advised that the 3 cam conversion (no less than $120 USD in
> Australia) is largely wasted if the lens goes to ROM conversion. The ROM
> conversion is much more invasive and not similar to the 3rd cam fix up and
> costs at least $200 USD.
>
> Would a ROM lense retain its value better than a 3 cam lense, given that the
> lenses are flawless and I may trade them in one day ?
>
> Miro

It's better to consider the value to YOU of a 3-cam or ROM lens.  To me, with SL and R4sP bodies, the ROM lenses are worth less than 3-cam lenses.  OTOH, someone who depends on the flash head zooming by itself would find the ROM lens more valuable.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!