Subject: Re: [Leica] Boston For Public Transit Maniacs
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:31:14 -0400

"If you take the subway "Outbound" you will end up in Wonderland-- no
kidding-- a great spot for a photo shoot but not someplace your likely to
visit on purpose." - Buzz

He ain't kiddin'!  A disc jockey friend of mine visiting from New Orleans
many years ago will never forget Wonderland.

It was a sultry summer night in 1979.  My buddy and I were returning via the
"T" Blue Line from the gala Boston eppearance of the "one-hit-wonder" rock
band "The Knack" (whose big hit was...you remember... "My Sharona").  The
tickets had been free courtesy of "The Knack's" record company.  We had
certainly gotten what we paid for.  My friend was about to get more than he
bargained for.

We entered Buzz's aforementioned State Street "T" station and got separated.
I hopped on the correct inbound train but my buddy stumbled onto the dreaded
OUTBOUND!

I went home.  My pal was deposited at Wonderland...at 11 o'clock at night.
Wonderland, by the way, is a sinister, overgrown abandoned amusement park in
a town called Revere...a place apparently named after Paul Revere's brother,
Sal.  Wonderland looks not unlike the jungle ruins of a disused Cambodian
Buddhist temple.

I didn't hear from my friend for four days.

When he finally did contact me...via long distance phone...he was back home
in Louisiana with a harrowing tale of terror in an urban wilderness.
Relieved of his wallet by a roving band of juveniles, my friend had been
forced to beg for a buck to call home and get money for an airline ticket
and fresh underwear wired to him.  With the balance of his only dollar, he
made his way back to Logan Airport via the "terror train" and took up
residence in the safe and snug terminal building until his flight home
departed.

So...don't take the OUTBOUND!!!

Now, for all of you of a certain age to whom a mention of "My Sharona" has
gotten that dopey, infuriatingly annoying song stuck in your head, here are
some actual lyrics to go along with the tune:

"Ooo my little pretty one, pretty one
when you gonna give me some time Sharona
Will you make my motor run, motor run,
honey coming off of the line Sharona"

Leica content:  I owned an M4 at the time of the concert, but left it home
so it wouldn't get banged up.  I should have left my buddy there, too.

Craig
Boston