Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Re: R8 or R7
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:49:54 -0700

At 07:32 PM 7/26/00 -0400, CapsTeeth@aol.com wrote:

>So if am I understanding this correctly, someone with six lenses who has them
>ROM converted @ $200/ea has spent $1200 just to permit the auto zoom in a
>Metz strobe and nothing else?  I might understand all those contacts could
>serve a purpose in a yet-to-be-debuted body, but then why all the contacts in
>the R8? Is this a bigger and more deplorable scam than the $1100 28-70 Sigma
>zoomlens, or about the same?

I think you have explained the purpose, so far, of the ROM. But it is not a
scam to have a lens ROM converted. There are a lot of photographers out
there that use a lot of flash and own Metz zoom flash units. So if they
want auto zoom, they get a ROM. Leica pretty much has to offer backward
compatible conversion. And it is not exactly simple to ROM a lens.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Re: R8 or R7)