Subject: [Leica] Two cultures
From: "Erwin Puts" <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 00:07:59 +0200

I hardly ever comment on persons being rude and/or narrow-minded on this
list. I do assume that facts speak for themselves and if not it is no use
trying to bring some sense and sensibility into the discussion. If Jim Brick
however feels offended I have to make an exception.
I am amazed that one or two individuals on this list, by a stubborn refusal
to accept that  individuals who hold a  view different from their own, might
have some valuable insights, can upset a man like Jim. He at least tries to
argue with facts and with passion but he can clearly distinguish between the
two. We have since the earliest of times two cultures: one is committed to
find the truth by reasoning and fact finding disregarding ones own ideas,
and the world of science is full of people who, confronted by facts, had to
restate theories and revise opinions. And they gladly did, because the
search for truth is above the personal conviction. The other culture is the
world of superstition and believe. We all know what this amounts to: from
witch hunting to Mc Carthy groups of individuals have tried to suppress the
free flow of facts and ideas, because they did not like the content. No
proof ever was needed, just the simple rule, that person A does not want to
hear what person B has to say and so B is suspect and considered insulting
to person A.
I am not for or against digital printing and I ams ure neither is Jim What
we try to establish is ONE: to find the best output medium for our Leica
pictures not by repeating mantras but by solid research and TWO to express
our awe and enthusiasm for a medium that delivers outstanding quality, not
because it is steeped in history but because it has timeless inherent image
qualities, that you may learn to love to master.
If some person finds the expression of such enthusiasm and the study of its
properties an insult to his views, we should reflect for a moment on the
roots for this 'insult'.
The LUG, unfortunately always follows this predictable pattern. There is an
interesting and valuable topic, then one or a few of the participants in the
discussion have to leave the level of logical reasoning and fact finding and
feel inclined to do a fair share of person-bashing.
A public discussion is as good as the quality of its participants. Pity that
for some, the goal of an exchange of opinions is not fact finding, but the
domination of their own beliefs.

Erwin

Replies: Reply from john <bosjohn@mediaone.net> (Re: [Leica] Two cultures)