Subject: Re: [Leica] Street photography
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 14:31:31 -0700

Erwin Puts wrote:

> My state of mental health has been questioned when I cited that the
> Rolleiflex and the Speed Graphlex were good instruments for outstanding
> street and documentary photography.
> If photographic history is a guide, I may mention Boubat, Doisneau, van der
> Elsken as exemplary street photographers with Rolleicord and Rolleiflex,
> with a quality of dynamics and available light scenes than many a
> contemporary Leica photographer would have put to a challenge.
><Snip>

Rolleiflexes on the LUG!!!
Some people don't' know that about the only camera in the world quieter than a
Leica m is a Rolleiflex TLR!!!!!
I've gone out Rolleiflexes shooting with Lugger Byron Rakitzis and his
Rolleiflexes and soon with Pitak Chenkosol with his new 2.8 F!!
An incredible instrument for street OR shooting city or landscapes.
If you have a medium format enlarger you should DEFINITELY get yourself a
Rolleiflex and find out what some even occasional brownie film can do to your
point of view. You may never come back. Its not like trying to shoot light
though a key hole.
It's amazing how that 80mm in my case Zeiss but also Schneider lens always seems
to have the right angle.
You seldom long for a wider or more tele lens. And people seldom run away from
you or clobber you over the head!

My experience with my speed graphic is such that I can't speak for it as much.
It's lens has always had something a little wrong with it making it soft. I'm
going to have to get it going so I can do some hand held sheet film!

Mark Rabiner