Subject: Re: [Leica] Street photography
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:03:49 EDT

I recently saw a televised lengthy interview of Cartier-Bresson (Charlie Rose
on PBS).  He said that he doubted that he would be permitted these days to
photograph in public places the same way he did decades ago.  People, in the
age of the paparazzi, have become too aware of the presence of photographers
on the streets and elsewhere.
There you have it, straight from the mouth of one the greatest champions of
Leica "candid" photography and spontaneous and more formal portraiture - and
every bit of it with a 50mm lens.
I have had some luck using gear that people have difficulty recognizing as
photo equipment, including a beat-up IIIb with Summitar and Rolleiflex 2.8E,
also well-used.  They even have occasionally become conversation pieces.
The square format is far more useful than users of rectagonal formats expect,
but it may take some mental adjustment on the part of the photographer.  For
very effective use of the Rolleiflex to make square compositions, just look
at the work of Fritz Henle.

Joe Sobel