Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? And lots more
From: Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 17:24:59 -0700

Hi Frank ...

I must have missed your original question and finally quit reading the
thread, so I'm glad you reposted your original question.

I shoot Pentax SLR gear, and use some fairly fast lenses, although
nothing longer than 300mm (or 600mm w/a TC).  Some Pentax cameras
(notably the LX and MX) allow for the use of interchangeable focusing
screens, so I keep one designed for fast lenses in one of my LX at all
times.  This allows for more accurate focusing with faster lenses,
especially with short to medium-long telephotos with apertures up to
f2.8, although the screen works well even with normal and some wide
lenses.

Another great accessory is a right angle finder that slips over the
viewfinder and allows for higher magnification.  Using this accessory
has allowed for much finer critical focusing.  The difference is
astounding, especially, and most importantly, with the proper focusing
screen.

A tripod has always been helpful, although some of the Pentax fast
lenses (like their A*200/2.8) are light  enough and easy enough to
handle to allow for good focusing accuracy hand held.  However,
usually  when I get into the 200mm range I'm in no hurry to shoot, so
out comes the t'pod.

Recently we had a very good thread on the Pentax list dealing ways to
get finer, more accurate focusing and sharper pictures, especially
when using telephoto lenses.  Some of use even did some tests and
determined that shutter speed can play a role in how sharp ones
pictures can be.
Go here:
http://discuss.pentax.com/pipermail/pentax-discuss/2000/May/subject.html

and search on "Sharpness, Slow Shutter Speeds" and you'll get some
good  information on using telephoto lenses.

HTH,
- --
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:belinkoff@earthlink.net