Subject: Re: [Leica] M4-2
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:27:31 -0600

The lack of commercial success for the M5, the decline in sales of
rangefinder cameras in general and the rising labour cost in Germany led
Leitz to decide to discontinue the M line. Walter Kluck, CEO at the time of
Leitz's Canadian subsidiary where most of the M lenses were made, knew that
Leitz Canada would be hit hard by the loss of M business. He fought for
continuing the production of the M camera and had the manufacturing
equipment moved from Germany to Canada where labour costs were substantially
cheaper. Some of the M production staff also moved over to Canada. The
camera was redesigned to reduce costs and to modernise it as well. For
example the selftimer was eliminated, the film counter simplified and a hot
shoe and a coupling for a winder were added. There were a lot of teething
problems in setting up production in Canada and the early M4-2 cameras had a
great deal of problems. They were sorted out and later M4-2 cameras were
very reliable. How should this affect your decision to buy an M4-2? If it is
a later production camera, or a M4-P, do not worry about it as the bugs had
been worked out by then. If it is an early camera that has seen moderate to
hard use, do not worry as the bugs would have been straightened out in
warranty and maintenance repairs. If it is an early camera in mint or mint -
condition, I would not buy it as the problems will not have been dealt with.
One of our illustrious members had a strap eyelet come away from an early
M4-2 camera resulting in an unfortunate rocky landing which destroyed his
lens as well! All covered under warranty though!

John Collier

sources: Leica Photography 6/98, pg. 18-19; and, Popular Photography July,
1980, starting at pg. 121