Subject: [Leica] street shooting... an afterword
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:24:04 -0400

I've done it, we've all done it. Used concerns about the propriety, legality
or safety of street shooting as a mental block to actually doing it. Someone
over on the SP list who studied under Winogrand posted the single most
truthful insight, which I think came from Winogrand himself, about SP.

Namely, you have to recognise that the problem is in your own head!!

In a funny way these concerns are nothing to do with actual street
shooting... in the sense that it is only when you have overcome them that
the actual learning about SP begins! The day comes when you go out and shoot
for an afternoon and you go home with lots of exposed rolls and you realise
you didn't worry about what you were doing once... no-one got upset... you
felt 'in the zone'... you had a lot of fun... you talked to a few people.

Then you look at the negs and they're junk.

Hic labor, hic opus est.*
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

* latin for 'this is where the real work starts'.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] street shooting... an afterword)