Subject: Re: [Leica] Street photography
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 12:18:42 -0400

> "I am 58 and my street photography is better than it has ever been. Maybe
> some people grow old and others don't. It is all really a state of
> mind..." - Steve
>
> Whew!  THAT got me thinking!  My original point was that our middle-aged
> looks may be intimidating or, as Ted said, we simply don't have that
> wide-eyeed innocent look any more.

hmmmm. I don't know about that. I have gone through life envious of people
who walk into a room and people notice them and even flock to them. I walk
into a room and nobody notices. Could be an advantage.

> Of course...as you say...it may be more a state of mind.  In my case, I'm
> less bold now than 30 years ago.  I'm much more sensitive to the feelings of
> others now and so tnd to back off and shy away from "intruding."  This, of
> course, is crippling in SP.

Sure, it is a state of mind and I think that I have evolved to my current
state of mind because I AM bolder now. When I was young I was painfully shy.
The thing that I have learned in general is that most people are faced with
the same fears and dilemmas as you and I. Most of the time I practice
stealth street photography and 9 times out of 10 my subject did not know I
took their picture and with the tenth person I usually get a questioning
look or a smile and they keep on going to whatever they are going to.

> Don't misunderstand, Steve, I'm not an old fart.  I've never driven Formula
> cars at 150 mph + but, as a flight instructor I spend many hours a week
> flyng at 150 mph +.  When I'm not teaching weeknds and nights, I "unwind" by
> performing aerobatics.

Craig, you have more hutzbah than I do, in my wildest fantasy I would not
fly a plane

> I guess I need to bring my airborne persona down to earth, eh?

If you remember the '70's book Jonathon Livingston Seagull, the old gull
says to the young Jonathon "Be, Jonathon, be."

> Thanks for the wise observation, Steve.
>
> Craig
> Boston

Steve