Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: GR1 erection(was: Street photography)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:59:12 +0200

Christer,

I am not claiming that the GR1 is a replacement for a Leica. It is certainly a P&S
camera, but it is far above the other P&Ss in terms of quality and value for money.
In addition to the convenient slider switch for the flash modes, some of its other
strong points are: a relatively high maximum aperture of 2.8; spot metering;
aperture-preferred operation and not just full auto; convenient exposure
compensation dial; ability to sort of disable autofocus by using the "snap" mode
(focus at around 2 m) or the infinity mode. This much more control than most
cameras of its size can provide.

As for carrying a Leica in the pocket, I tried that and it just feels strange and
bulky. The GR1 is the camera I take if I am going on a business trip where any
photo opportunities will be incidental at best and I am wearing business clothes--I
think an M6 in the pocket of a business suit looks really strange. It is also the
camera I take if I am going to Euro Disney with 2 kids, knowing that it is hot,
that I hate the place, and that I will be walking around there for 8 hours, with an
increasing load of souvenirs to carry as the day wears on; in that situation even a
Leica becomes heavy. And finally, there are situations where I will not risk losing
my Leica (such as in the water attraction in Belgium where I lost my first GR1),
while the loss of a GR1 is something I am willing to risk. In fact, when I lost the
first one, I was annoyed mostly by the fact that I was sure I had several
HCB-calibre pictures on the roll in the camera ;-)

Nathan

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> OK the lens is very good, but it is still a P&S thing. It is not under your
> control, except that you can turn off the flash _permanently_ by flipping a
> switch, not pushing little rubbery knobs to get down to the third level of
> some menue, and then have to redo the whole thing every time you turn on
> the camera. That's what I like about the GR-1. The switch, and the lens.
> But I hate the little rubber button that turns on the camera. And it turns
> itself on in your trousers pocket. It must look like a very rapid erection
> to the uninformed spectator when the lens starts moving out.  Is this how
> Ralph got started on his nudes?  If so, please advise how to proceed.
> Anyway, I almost always have room for the M6 with a Summicron in my jacket
> pocket. Unobtrousive.--
> Christer Almqvist
> D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or
> F-50590 Regnéville-sur-Mer, France