Subject: Re: [Leica] Would Ansel Adams shoot Leica
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:44:57 EDT

mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com writes:

<< The waist level finder (like the
 Rolleiflex) makes for an instrument which you always are resting up against
 something. Setting it on a book on a table to squeeze off shots. >>

I beg to differ.  The waistlevel finder is fine for handheld shots.  With the
magnifier in the up position and the eye close to the magnifier the forehead
above the eye pushes down on the upper edge of the finder cover while the
hands push upward making the whole shebang very solid and much of the mirror
slap is absorbed in the hands and face (not painful!).  You also get a
full-field view of the screen at 5x.  No prism will get you that.  Following
a moving subject means fighting basic instinct, though, which usually wins
out and you turn the wrong way.  Probably the best advantage of the
waistlevel is being able to turn the camera sideways for sneak shots (yes
even a Hasselblad can be a sneaky camera) or completely upside down to shoot
over the heads of people in front.  I often take the prism off my Nikons to
do this.  One reason I'd never own an SLR that didn't have a removable prism.