Subject: Re: [Leica] strap eyelets
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:07:46 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/00 2:15:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, V8PWR@aol.com
writes:

<< Hello . does anyone know if it's possible to replace an eyelet from an M6
 easily from the outside .
 I had the shutter side eyelet worn on my M6 , but , amazingly , Leica France
 did replace the other side one during recent  CLA .
 Thanks .
 Jo GOODTIMES >>

If you take the bottom plate off your M6 and look along the inside walls of
the film chamber on both sides you'll see the 2 cross head screws that secure
each strap eyelet from the inside.  If you had a tiny 90-degree ratcheted
driver with a cross head bit you could replace the viewfinder/rewind-end
eyelet easily since the film chamber is empty.  On the shutter/wind end, the
takeup spool assembly would have to be removed first.  I'm not sure if the
factory techs ever do it that way, or if they have whole camera apart.  I had
them replaced on my M2 along with a CLA.  If your M6 had both worn-out
eyelets at the recent CLA and Leica only replaced one of them, I'd send it
back and ask them to do now what they should have done then.  Unless they've
got the gall to accuse you of wearing out one eyelet since the CLA, they
should do the right thing and do it as a courtesy.  Then again, they're Leica
; )

Replies: Reply from Bill Satterfield <cwsat@cyberhighway.net> (Re: [Leica] strap eyelets)