Subject: Re: [Leica] Need VALOY II info....
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:26:41 -0700

Gracious goodness me!
Thanks for all the information!
Indeed, I have tried the lube on the heliz- I cleaned the old grease off
with some of that citrus solvent, and the helix focus is as smooth as the
proverbial baby's butt!
I took the carrier off an older VALOY and it seems to fit- the one that is a
single piece of metal with some small projections to guide it in the the
negative stage!
I have been using the HALOGENA bulb in the older VALOY- I used the 150watt
one, but that VALOY had a sceondary vent and didn't over heat! Got really
printing times with that! The Halogena buls ar sold under the Philips name,
and are made in france. I think they have a double jacketed bulb, no
trademark on the end, smooth white envelope, and when I tested it with a
meter to see if the illumination was even, it was more even than a no. 212
bulb!
They are rated to last an average of 3 years.... under regular use, so
heaven only knows how long they'd last in an enlarger!
They come in 75 and 100 what sizes, too. I tried the electronic flourescent
bulb, but the distace to the condenser is too short and there are hot spots-
I may try the spiraled ones that GE makes- they look shorter and may work. I
like the idea of the flourescents- they supposedly have the 'actinic' rays
that the paper is sensitive to, and the eletronic ones- once tyou let them
warm up do not flicker, and come on immediately with the timer- usually, the
time it takes to compose the image, and focus is sufficient to warm up the
bulb for a printing session!
I must have been very good last week- and I can see why you like the VALOY
II- it is small, light (compared to the V35!) and built like a brick
outhouse! The one I got, once the years of crud and dust were cleaned of is
a nice blue-gray color, and looks  like it came out of the box yesterday! It
came with a 50mm Focotar- I bought it for the lens- I thought I'd have to
junk the enlarger for what I paid for it- didn't have a photo, and figured
at that price, the lens was what the seller was really selling!
Well, I think once the lens has been CLA'd then I will have something that
will last me another 30 years! I can see your enthusiasm is not misplaced!
Dan ( happier'n a pig in a mudhole!) Post