Subject: Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:55:34 -0700

><Snip>
> We certainly do!  And I don't expect any of this to change yours (or anyone
> else's for that matter; I don't care a fig if Cosina never sells another
> lens).  But for me, a person who would rather shoot a rangefinder with a
> bottle glued on the front than the best SLR in the world, who can't afford
> five (or three or really even two) current Leica lenses, and who uses a
> Barnack camera as well as an M, my opinion is that the Cosina lenses are
> quite good value, even at list prices, which I didn't pay.  As you hint, the
> 75 really is quite a lens.  I think the 35 ASPH is very good too.  Of the
> three, I'm actually least impressed with the 50.
>
> At any rate, everyone makes choices, and mine, when it comes to buying
> lenses, aren't intended to be statements about the merits of the ones I
> didn't choose to buy, or simply couldn't afford.  They're just my choices
> and, as you say, people will think what they will.  Apparently some will
> even think I'm a bad person, dissin' Leica glass for some unexplained but
> surely nefarious reason.  Cheers,
>
> Matt Barker

I think my problem with the Cosina lens is just that. They ARE a good value.
BUT THERE'S JUST NOT ANYTHING EXCEPTIONAL ABOUT THEM!
And I'm not too fond of their appearance, appearances meaning Nothing of course! :)
My lens line is extravagantly compleat but it took me 7 years to get them. I
basically waited more than a year for each lens. I could have gone off at any
time an scored a lens of lesser cost.
But they are paid for and they don't have to be paid for again! I'm glad for
that much!

I did mention my 50 first because it is and was my first lens. And always will
be in my heart as well. Love the focal length for 35! (love the 80 for 6x6) And
love this particular lens!, the Summicron from 7 years ago (with separate lens
hood) But you can't have too many 50's as far as I go. I'll repeat the slow
collapsible Elmar, the fastest monster Noctilux all have a place in my heart and
before I turn 100 I'll be using them. The Summilux will be upgraded before I
ever think of acquiring one in 20 years.
Mark Rabiner