Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/1.2 or 50/1.5 or 50/2?!
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 20:22:57 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/00 7:33:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dante@umich.edu
writes:

<< I suspect the old Canon transmits more light, even stopped down, even
 without multicoating and LD glass.  Or it's really a 1.2 and the f/2
 mark is where 1.5 really is. >>

I used to ponder questions like these.  I have had similar experiences.  The
first thing to remember is that f/stops are not absolutes but arithmetically
derived constants.  Translating them exactly into optical and mechanical
operational terms requires a high degree of precision.
Some years ago, I found Sherry Krauter herself working away at a table at a
large camera show.  I asked her a question similar to this one.  Her position
at that time was that even the best quality control practices employed during
that era left plenty of margin for error, by today's standards.
I have never since thought to find absolute answers to such questions,
including those relating to which lens in a given class was better than
another.  I have generally come around to her point of view.  However, I have
seen remarkably little variation from unit to unit among vintage Leitz
lenses, considering the complete absence of computers in design and
manufacture.
When I have encountered lenses that behaved unexpectedly, I have simply
adjusted the aperture ring to compensate and forgotten about the cause.
Sherry did me a favor.  Essentially, she told me to forget the details and
just enjoy shooting.

Joe Sobel