Subject: [Leica] "notoriously crappy" lens
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:56:03 -0700

In February of '99 I bought my first Leica gear in Singapore from a second
hand dealer. I got a very clean M6 and selected a 35 Summi and the
"notoriously crappy" collapsible 50 Summi. I shot a role of Reala 100 at all
apertures with each lens, had it minilab developed only, and went to my
hotel room where I used a Canon 1.4 50mm as a loup to examine the results.
Even under those limited conditions it was obvious the the "notoriously
crappy" lens was indeed a "notoriously crappy" lens at 5.6 or below when
compared with the 35 Summi. It went back to the shop were it plus a little
cash was transformed into a 1980's 50 Summi that was outstanding.

Bill Lawlor