Subject: Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 22:41:06 +1000

Edward Meyers wrote:

> Perhaps. But maybe he knew more than we know. Also, did you ever notice
> the "play" when the lens was in shooting position? Ed
>
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 Krechtz@aol.com wrote:
>
> > So someone other than me remembers having read Bob Schwalberg's photo mag
> > writings during the 60's.  He was very prominent in Leica circles and usually
> > quite sane, but never collapsing the lens seems pretty anal retentive.
> > Collapsibility would, at least superficially, appear to be one of the chief
> > advantages of the lens over the rigid version.
> >
> > Joe Sobel

Edward, Maybe he just abused his lens or dropped it or somehow did unmentionables
to it.

My collapsible, which I have in front of me right  now, mounted via an adapter to a
M3, does not have any play at all when in its extended position.  None , nil ,
zilch. Its a tight as a nuns....Maybe he just forgot to give it a twist to the
right.

By the way, what's all this collapsible bashing? The 50 mm Summicron was and still
is a very good lens, if it is in clean condition.  Of course, the later versions
are superior. They better are. With new technologies, superior glasses etc. It is
futile even  to deny this, but when this lens came first on to the market, it was a
super lens.

Regards, Horst Schmidt