Subject: Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:32:49 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/00 11:25:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
durling@widomaker.com writes:

<< On the collapsable Summicron question an earlier article, I remember it was
 called "Shifty Fifty", about 50 mm lenses described the first Summicron as
 having great resolution but poor contrast.  He said something like you could
 count the hairs on the cat but lose the cat.  I can dig it out if anyone is
 interested.

 By the way, I have a beater Summitar which is very loose collapsed but nice
 and tight when locked up extended.  Its a nice lens stopped down a little.
 Perhaps the play in the mount accentuates the softness wide open.  In any
 case its a heck of a lot better than the Summar.>

    My experience certainly is consistent with these observations, with the
further comment that the chrome rigid Summicron 7-element has better contrast
than either.