Subject: Re: [Leica] Identifying Leica Lenses
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 14:28:50 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/00 1:12:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Krechtz@aol.com
writes:

<< If you like Bower's work, and you don't find SLR's distasteful, you would
 really enjoy his Leica Reflex Photography.  Incredible lighting in many of
 the outdoor shots.

 Joe Sobel

I bought that book the past March when I was trying out an R8 + lenses.  I
returned it to the store along with the R equipment which, unlike SLR's in
general, I did find distasteful.  The R8 (brand new had just arrived from
Leica USA) exhausted a new set of expensive lithium batteries in 11 rolls,
the finder display was intermittent, and the TTL flash was inoperative.  I
thought it must be a lemon and brought it back to the store that Saturday and
asked the owner for another body and he told me he'd sold the other one he
got with mine, so it'd be a few days before he'd have another one.  No sooner
said than the guy who bought the other R8 walked in beet red and steaming mad
with his R8, the mirror stuck in the up position and the shutter halfway
open.  He also showed some black dirt specks inside his 100 APO ROM lens.
Both of us walked out of the store minus R equipment with refund credits on
our charge cards.  We talked outside the store for a while and both of us are
long-time Leica M and Nikon users also, and I guess we will be for the
forseeable future.