Subject: Re: [Leica] "notoriously crappy" lens
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 12:52:26 -0700

At 12:45 PM -0400 8/5/00, Krechtz@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/5/00 12:25:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>CapsTeeth@aol.com writes:
>
><< From that point on there was
> more progress in contrast (a function of coating techology) than sharpness
>(a
> design function). >>
>
>That sounds about right.  Where would composition of the glass and
>manufacturing of glass and body fit into the equation?  Any experts listening?

By 'sharpness' I suppose you mean resolution? It's true that resolution is
largely independent of coating technology, but contrast is also definitely
a design function, meaning that it is dependent on choices of refractive
indices and geometries of lenses. Even flare levels are dependent on design
funtions as well as coating technology.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com