Subject: Re: [Leica] Focomat question -- oddball 1c
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 16:09:20 EDT

Bob, there must be two of those beasts out there. I have one sitting on my
work-desk. It is a 1a with a 1c head and condensor. The up-down device is a
simple screw clamp on a flat bar. This was normal for a 1a and even though it
looks like it was made in a home based workshop, it is the actual 1a
configuration. On mine the head and condensor as well as the light housing
has been replaced by a late, gray hammer tone painted! c set-up. It even has
the elusive filterdrawer on it. The upright is the rather wobbly, small
diameter post and the baseboard is a standard wood one.
 There are frequent modifications to 1a and 1c's. Users put cold-light heads
on them, sometimes colour heads (Wallner, Omega etc) and quite often they
were modified for left hand use or right hand use. The genius of the Focomat
1a/c is that it is a very simple design, it works very well and can
accommodate these modifications. My hybrid came into my possession because it
had an Ilford 500S Multigrade head on it. It did lack the control panel
(still looking for that one), but it had the Focotar 50/4,5 and the
neg-carrier as well as a clean condensor. One of these days I will find a
control panel and finish it off and put it to good use.
 The Ia needs bracing on the upright as the post has a tendency to wobble a
bit, the Ic, particularly the later version is rock steady in that regard. I
use a 2C for most of my printing, but in most cases that is overkill as the
1C is one of the most elegant and simple enlargers ever made.
All the best,
Tom A