Subject: RE: [Leica] "notoriously crappy" lens
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 17:56:34 -0400

I really like my 50mm Elmar.  I only use it outdoors on sunny days, or
indoors with a flash.  So, typically, it's stopped down to 5.6-11.  I don't
believe I've ever used it wide open.

It certainly has a different 'look' than my 50 Summilux...but hell, I keep
that lense at 1.4 most of the time, so no wonder it looks
different...that's what I bought that lense for ;-)

Gee, can't you say mounting and unmounting the lense thousands of times
compromises the image too?  Or, even focusing the lense.....won't that
eventually 'throw it out'?  It's not like the Elmar locking mechanism is
really complex...

Austin