Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: affordable finders
From: Guy Bennett <guy.bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 20:16:09 +0100

hey doug,

i wuz juss joshin!

i personally feel the current leica finders are fine, operationally
speaking. i have and use the 24, and assume the 21 is pretty much
identical: it's relative bright and clear, no problem for 4-eyed folk like
myself, stays in the shoe and - though i hate to contradict b.d. - doesn't
suffer from nose grease absorption or saharan dust storms, at least mine
doesn't.

that said, it's f****** expensive! if i recall (i've been trying to
forget), i seem to have spent upwards to $200 for the thing. well made or
not, i personally find that excessive. especially now that we have
available the finders by cosina, which are brighter (to my eye) and every
bit as 'precise' as their leica counterparts, for a fraction of the cost. i
recently paid $120 for the 35/28 finder, and also use the 25 finder which
came 'free' with the cosina lens of the same focal length.

if i had to do it all over again, fool that i am, i would probably buy the
leica 24 finder again. unlike some luggers, i have little success shooting
without the finder when using that focal length, and prefer using the leica
brightlines over the cosina, which has none.

hmm.

guy