Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: Shadow boxing
From: "Rob Studdert" <audiob@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:37:06 +1000

On 7 Aug 2000, at 14:06, austin@darkroom.com wrote:

> > Suffice to say I'm no enemy of flare in the right
> > circumstances,
>
> Hell, you want flare?  Just use a UV filter, people here tell
> me "that's all those things are good for"!
>
> ;-)

Hi Austin,

Even given the smiley I think that the original point has been transmogrified,
notable flare artifacts such as aperture projections or point source reflections
(and those produced by filters) aren't generally desirable (and no one said as
such). However in some circumstances (eg high contrast, low light environs)
the reduction of overall image contrast due to the a lenses natural low
contrast when used wide open can be an advantage. :-|

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110