Subject: [Leica] Re: US Customs
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 20:35:30 -0400

Luggers,
    The proper form is # 4457 - "Certificate of Registration for Personal
Effects Taken Abroad."
    Any US airport with a Customs Office will have them.
    You only need to get them once unless you get new gear. I have a couple
of slips which are dated 1974.
    While you will probably never be asked for them, it is a good idea to
get them. Some eager beaver Customs Agent imagines something is not right
and you are in for big time hassles.
    I've used a carnet a couple of time, and found they are not worth the
expense (for the carnet itself and the security bond) nor the time it takes
to have them validated. I was stunned at how many customs agents in Europe
didn't know what they were. NOTE this applies to the civilized world only.
If you are going to some place really off beat, or third world check with
the Department of State first. If the country has an embassy or legation in
the US, check there too.
    Enjoy your trip.
Happy Snaps,
Sal