Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: U.S. Customs
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 18:07:47 -0700

> Does mail order from Germany to the USA attract a tax ?
>
> What's the deal with Canada ?

It depends.  I'm in Canada, and have both bought gear from the US and sold
gear to US residents.  Gear coming to Canada should be liable for our Goods
and Services Tax (GST, sometimes known as the "Good and Screwed Tax") but
I've escaped it quite often, especially when the gear comes by FedEx.  When
it comes by Purolator, they kindly ensure that all your social obligations
are fulfilled.  Gear going to the States will attract taxes depending on the
destination state.  I believe NY is very careful about collecting every
nickel owed.

After a couple of exchanges where buyers insisted I foot the bill for state
taxes levied on gear they bought from me, I won't send anything to the US
without a clear understanding from the buyer that they, not I, am
responsible for any taxes and duties levied.

In short, taxes depend on the country and state/province of destination, nor
origin.

Paul

Replies: Reply from "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Carnet du Passage)