Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm Summicron, version differences
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 14:57:42 -0400

on 8/8/00 1:23 pm, Dan Cardish at dcardish@microtec.net wrote:

> AFAIC, all
> lens made since the 60s by any of the major camera companies (i'm familiar
> with Minolta, Leica, and Nikon, and extrapolating to the others) are simply
> sharp enough.

Wow. You guys crack me up, sometimes, you know?

Sharp enough for what? 4x6 snaps for grandma, sure. 16x20 exhibition
prints... yeah, right. Hand me that lens! Which one? Oh, it doesn't matter,
cos EVERY lens made since the 60s by Minolta, Leica and Nikon and by
extrapolation the others is SHARP ENOUGH at all apertures!!

I mean, to give just one example, did you ever LOOK through 1970s era Canon
FD 100-200 zooms?

You might as well say 'as far as I am concerned all cars made by the major
manufacturers (Ford, General Motors, Volkswagen and the rest by
extrapolation) since the 60s are simply safe (or fast or comfortable)
enough.

It'd demonstrate about the same level of insight and knowledge.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Jesse Hellman <palio@miata.net> (Re: [Leica] 35mm Summicron, version differences)