Subject: [Leica] R v. R
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:34:48 -0700

I really love the R8, but with that out of the picture, definetely R7.
Nothing the R6.2 can do that the R7 can't, and the R7 does things the R6.2
can't, so long as there is a battery.  Just carry spares, and replace when
you have an important trip/project coming up.  As I recall, it does have a
mechanical 1/100, using the x flash sync position.  (If, like Tina, you
shoot in remote locations, the R6.2 may be a necessity.)  Manual exposure
with the display in the R7 is very nice - tells you directly the amount of
over and underexposure in 1/2 stop steps.  1/2 stop shutter speed steps.
More advance flash metering.  Probably cheaper on the used market than an
R6.2.

Can't go wrong with either the 60 or 100 2.8 macros, use what ever suits
your style and budget.  I have and use both.  Both work well with a 2x for
life size and tele-macro.  Now if you really want to exlore the fringe of
selective focus, the 180 summicron with 2x is way-cool.  Talk about
Bokeh.....

Tom