Subject: Re: [Leica] R v. R
From: "Joe B." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 23:34:21 -0700

At 14:34 08/08/00 -0700, you wrote <snip>:
>Nothing the R6.2 can do that the R7 can't, and the R7 does things the R6.2
>can't, so long as there is a battery.  Just carry spares, and replace when
>you have an important trip/project coming up.  As I recall, it does have a
>mechanical 1/100, using the x flash sync position.  (If, like Tina, you
>shoot in remote locations, the R6.2 may be a necessity.)  Manual exposure
>with the display in the R7 is very nice - tells you directly the amount of
>over and underexposure in 1/2 stop steps.  1/2 stop shutter speed steps.
>More advance flash metering.  Probably cheaper on the used market than an
>R6.2.

There is one thing that the R6/8.2 can do that the R7 can't, and this is
why I find myself using the R6 more often. The R7 cannot combine
centre-weighted metering with manual exposure; it insists on spot metering.
This is fine for those times I would want to use spot metering, but far
from fine for those times (the vast majority) where I would opt for c/w
metering. Its funny how the little things can get you sometimes.

Joe B.