Subject: Re: [Leica] Suggestions for Europe Trip
From: Pascal <cyberdog@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:12:38 +0200

On 10-08-2000 02:18 Roger L. Bunting wrote:

>I think Europe is the perfect place for the 24mm lens. In many of the
>places you are going at least the city scapes are very compressed with
>narrow streets, shops, alleys and walkways. I've used a 24mm extensively
>there but not on my Leica... still saving. I use the 35mm almost
>exclusively and keep the 50 f1.4 in my pocket for those maximum aperture
>shots

I would suggest using a 35mm as a "standard" lens for European cities
(cramped streets, historic buildings and so on). Supplemented by a small
tele like a 90mm for some detail shots and maybe a super wideangle like a
19, 21 or 24mm for when you really need to go wide. But be careful with
the latter wideangles as it is difficult to take pictures without
distorted effects in narrow streets.
But the combination of 35 and 90mm should work in 90% of situations.
Plus, don't forget that it is often rather dark in small streets, so do
not take a low speed film, but a 100 or 200 ASA instead.
In most case you'll not be allowed to take pictures in museums, and in
case you can (often against payment of an extra permit), without flash.
Also, setting up of a tripod inside a museum or church will not be
allowed or tolerated. My solution is to carry a small table tripod plus
ballhead for quick action. Or just buy some slides or postcards of
objects on display in a museum instead of messing around...
I use the Leica table tripod and ballhead also for shots of cities at
night.

Pascal
no archive

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace