Subject: Re: [Leica] Film x-ray protection bags
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 12:23:25 -0700

> > From: Bill Satterfield <cwsat@cyberhighway.net>
> >
> > We have already visited the subject of film protection for carry ons
> > when going through a foreign airport- no way to avoid it. Now does
> > anyone have any recommendations on the best film protection bag? I
> > understand there are some new types out......It really takes a lot of
> > planning and research to get out of the USA. When I was younger, I just
> > went. Now, I plan!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bill,
Best plan?  Throw all the plastic containers away or re-cycle,  throw
all the film in zip lock freezer bags, carry on the plane. Any of those
new fangled bags are only a means to grab your money!

When you check in be pleasant,  put the bags out for hand check and be
prepared for a small lecture that the film is safe in the machine etc
etc etc, as it's only the high speed 1600 and over that can be effected.

One of the failings in teaching "security people" appears that they have
no idea about accumulative x-ray effects. They only relate to their one
little machine and rarely think beyond the 10 feet past the gate. If
you're on a long transit flight with several stops and potential for a
number of x-rayings before reaching destination, every check you can
avoid the scanning the better off you're film is.

But you may well run into locations where no matter if you're the Queen
of England or the Pope your film is going through the machine! And you
can smile all you want it isn't going to do one damn thing!

If you use the plastic containers  then throw them into your luggage and
refill them at the other end.

And whatever you do don't under any circumstance pack film in your
checked luggage as it's probably going to be fried alive by the time you
get it unpacked.
ted

Replies: Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Film x-ray protection bags)
Reply from Wilber Jeffcoat <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net> (Re: [Leica] Film x-ray protection bags)