Subject: Re: [Leica] What food for our Leicas
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 16:12:26 -0400

At 08:49 PM 8/13/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Over the last couple of weeks I have been pondering the films that we use
>in our Leicas and wondering why we choose such a wide diversity.   For
>instance, as I have now gone totally digital, I now shoot Kodak TX400CN
>when I want a black and white film, and either Kodak or Fuji print and
>slide film.   But why am I differentiating between monochrome, print and
>slide?   Why, for example, do i just not shoot everything on print film -
>after all it is all going to be scanned before I output it.   Why do I
>shoot slide film at all?   Anything that goes to a possible publication is
>scanned and output to disk.  Or why not just concentrate on slide film and
>do all my printing from that, converting it to monochrome should I need to?

>Gerry

Hi, Gerry -

I had the same thoughts before my last trip and took the new Kodak Supra
films as an experiment, hoping to be able to scan them and convert to
whatever I wanted.  These films are supposed to be especially formulated
for scanning.  I was disappointed.  The film doesn't handle back-light or
low light very well at all - two of my favorites in black and white.  The
highlights are mushy and the film is very low contrast.  It can be improved
in PhotoShop, but doesn't begin to compare to a good black and white film
or color transparency.  I'm back to carrying Fuji Provia F for color slides
and TMax and TriX for black and white.

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP