Subject: Re: [Leica] .....thanks + placenta........
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:18:01 -0700

With the birth of our first, Ansel, the placenta did not come out, and
my wife Katie continued to bleed internally.  She had to be transferred
to a hospital from the midwife clinic where she gave birth, amidst the
worst blizzard of the decade in Tokyo.  The placenta had to be manually
extracted, not exactly a pleasant procedure.  She lost half gallon of
blood, but survived without any transfusion.

The birth of our second, Sara, went much more smoothly.  Katie was
relieved that the placenta came out just within minutes, though assisted
by a dose of pictocin after Sara came out.

Here's a Noctilux picture of the placenta, in a bowl.  If you get
grossed out easily, I do not recommend viewing this image.

http://www.iisaka.org/Sara/Room10.html

Ken Iisaka  <ken at iisaka dot org> http://www.iisaka.org
Still lost in Mill Valley in Marin County, California