Subject: [Leica] R* w/ 2.8 lens aperture error
From: "Franz, Paul" <PFranz@aisvt.bfg.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:54:05 -0400

Hello

I have just retuned to the LUG from a long absence.  Mostly I am back to the
fold because I have a hardware problem.

I own a 280/2.8 lens.  This lens has been mounted to a R6 camera for most of
its life.  I however, have recently downgraded my equipment to include an
R8.  The R8 has been, above all else an, easier camera to focus in low
light.

The problem starts with the Lens.  At f2.8 the lens displays 3.4 in the R8
viewfinder.  One click up on the  aperture, I get the next f-stop.  On the
R6 I was always reading 2.8 in the viewfinder,  but the aperture series has
always been the same on the lens.

Is it the Lens?  Do I send it back for repair or just live with it?

I believe the error is in the lens.  However, is this the way the lens was
designed, and the lens is truly at f2.8, but misread in the viewfinder?

Does anyone have any history with a similar problem.

Paul Franz

PS:  I have a 180/2.8 and it does not exhibit the same problem.