Subject: [Leica] An Old Leica Model G
From: Robert Clark <rclark@desupernet.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:23:29 -0400

Hi gang:
Checking in today for some information and advice on a Leica I now have
that was purchased by a relative in NYC back in 1941.  (I have the
original sales receipt.)  I have the original manual, leather body case,
and lens.  According to the book, it is a Leica Model G which is similar
or identical to a Leica III or so I've read.  The lens is a Ernst Leitz
Wetzlar Summar f=5cm 1.2 which appears to be a 30 or so mm lens.  The
serial number on the camera is 235720 and the serial number on the lens
is 345087.  It has been stored since 1951 and not used since.
Cosmetically, the camera is nearly perfect with some dust and dirt.  The
vulcanite and chrome are fabulously preserved.  The shutter sounds fine
and is crisp and snappy.  I received some information several months ago
but no longer have it.  Can anyone shed a little more light on what I
have and perhaps tell me if I should have it gone over by an expert
before subjecting it to any use?  You know, when was it assembled,
etc.   It's a treasure to hold and I can only imagine the photos it has
taken and perhaps can still create!  And....any recommendations on a
light meter?  Something inexpensive and dependable.  If it's ok, I'd
like to use the camera soon...maybe this weekend.

Best regards,
Robert Clark
Lancaster, PA