Subject: Re: [Leica] On the Nikon S3
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 07:06:53 -0700

Larry Kopitnik wrote:

> >Some different scenarios on the S3 could get to be the case:
>
> You've overlooked one scenario, the one I think most likely. The S3
> proves popular enough that Nikon introduces a popularly-priced
> rangefinder camera using the same lens mount as the S3, and a line of
> lenses to support it. Those lenses, of course, would be useable on
> the S3 as well.
>
> Consider how the numbers reported here on the LUG -- that Nikon has
> orders for over 7000 S3s at $5500 each, and may manufacture as many
> as 8000 of them -- compare to Leica M sales (I'm assuming the Nikon
> numbers are accurate which, let's note, we do not know as a fact).

Time will tell but I simply cannot come to the conclusion that there are
7000 buyers for this camera. Users? Collectors? Look at how many LHSA
M6's were sold, far far less. Look at the price point and the original
cost of the M6J (a desirable user camera, but costly) How many M6J's
were sold? Nostalga buyers? well $5500 is a lot for nostalga, IMO.

I suppose an argument can be made that those were 'merely' Leicas and
this is a Nikon. But that would lead me to wonder who is going to be
interested in this Nikon?  Nikon users? I doubt it, Leica users? some,
but likely less than bought the M6J or LHSA's latest offering.

7000 buyers coughing up $5500 coin for this streches my imagination, but
as I said time will tell.  Also, I think these numbers reported here are
pretty soft rumours.

BTW, it would be interesting if Cosina could make their lenses to fit
it, for the buyers who want to actually use it!

Dennis

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] On the Nikon S3)